The Welcome Mat

Welcome to this Blog. Hopefully you may find it of use (i doubt it but it doesnt stop me hoping does it?). All my skills are normally self taught, and at the moment i'm a lone ranger when it comes to my layout with the occasional help from friends (normally it involves alot heckling).

I've never yet got a layout really past the electrics stage. I normally lose interest which is why i've decided to become involved in lots of things so i can vary my time between different things. All the work you see on Westleigh is my own work and all the photos you see on my fotopic sites are again my own work. I'm amazed i havent started to play with it, perhaps leaving the vast majoirty of the wiring to the end helps.

My main interest in railways is principally the early 90s. Even though i only just got into double figures in terms of age just as privitisation came in, i find it a very interesting period. My earliest memories were at Salisbury, Oxford and Bristol. So to counteract this aswell i tend to model the northwest scene during 1990 to 1994. However i also do the Wessex area during the same period and the scottish lowlands during 1988-1990.

I do have a little interest in the 1996-1998 privitisation period. I'm more aware of this period than the sectorisation period and again i wouldnt mind if it turned into this era.

I also am working on a project of Devizes station in 1963/64 just before alot of the line was rationalised and eventually closed. This however is a very very long term project and probably wont get anyway for many many years yet.

I do spend alot of time in the summer out an about doing photography particularly of civil jet aircraft. I'm certainly no David Bailey but i'm reasonably proud of most of the photos taken.

Anyway i suppose i really should get off the computer and get on with some modelling work, except work has a tendancy to get in the way!

Wednesday 10 February 2010

Black is the new Black! (WR)

Well to update the ballasting has now been all but completed, the area round the hard standing has been more or less sorted, its still waiting to dry as its not exactly too warm down in the garage. Once this has been done i can begin to weather it in. I plan to use some tempera powder to weather the track, this does seem to work reasonably well as it seems to have the sporadic look about it, It is a little more temperamental than paint but it doesn't look too bad.

After all this it will be back upstairs to pair them up to begin the platform and back scene along with the scenic break. I'm hopefully going to begin the scenic break later on tonight cutting the wooden wall and top which will but up again the current back scene. Essentially because of the narrow width that there is I'm going to make it loo like a footpath as this is likely to look fairly plausible, anything else would just look like over kill!

Ive also finished the signalling, I've had to lower the phone boxes on both signals as it was realised they were both rather high, despite looking right it would be in fact impossible to reach. One of these signals has also been fitted with an eckon cast calling on head. It doesn't look that good but hopefully once its in it will look better and also given the cost its alot cheaper than getting a Roger Murray and alot easier than making one myself.

The station at the moment is more or less on stop. I'm planning to just use it without the extra scenic board initially as the layout will function without this, it was purely a scenic add on for shows and also by doing it this way i can spend extra time trying to sort something suitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment