The Welcome Mat

Welcome to this Blog. Hopefully you may find it of use (i doubt it but it doesnt stop me hoping does it?). All my skills are normally self taught, and at the moment i'm a lone ranger when it comes to my layout with the occasional help from friends (normally it involves alot heckling).

I've never yet got a layout really past the electrics stage. I normally lose interest which is why i've decided to become involved in lots of things so i can vary my time between different things. All the work you see on Westleigh is my own work and all the photos you see on my fotopic sites are again my own work. I'm amazed i havent started to play with it, perhaps leaving the vast majoirty of the wiring to the end helps.

My main interest in railways is principally the early 90s. Even though i only just got into double figures in terms of age just as privitisation came in, i find it a very interesting period. My earliest memories were at Salisbury, Oxford and Bristol. So to counteract this aswell i tend to model the northwest scene during 1990 to 1994. However i also do the Wessex area during the same period and the scottish lowlands during 1988-1990.

I do have a little interest in the 1996-1998 privitisation period. I'm more aware of this period than the sectorisation period and again i wouldnt mind if it turned into this era.

I also am working on a project of Devizes station in 1963/64 just before alot of the line was rationalised and eventually closed. This however is a very very long term project and probably wont get anyway for many many years yet.

I do spend alot of time in the summer out an about doing photography particularly of civil jet aircraft. I'm certainly no David Bailey but i'm reasonably proud of most of the photos taken.

Anyway i suppose i really should get off the computer and get on with some modelling work, except work has a tendancy to get in the way!

Saturday 30 January 2010

White powder of a different kind (WR)

I'm now head to toe in a white dust. yes i've spent a pleasant evening rubbing down the filler i put down last night. Theres good and bad news. The good news is the bits which i did towards the end are ok. The bad news is that some of it needs another application as its sadly a little flaky. I dont mind a little bit of roughness but some of it is almost like craters. Hopefully some time tomorrow afternoon should get the new top on again so hopefully by monday night it should be ready to painted and weathered. I plan to paint it concrete at first and then using a series of washes darken it down. Perhaps i should have used the dry method after all!

The next job i need to do is to install the ground signals and wire them in. I'm a little worried about damage but as long as i'm not cak handed i should be ok. Once this is all done all the wiring should be complete. There is already a feed for any lights which will be fitted although in hinsight it might be better to put and extra circuit or two in so some lights such as internal shed lights could be on wheras extenals would be off. it also looks like i wont be able to fit the strip LED lights in the pits. Hopefully though they can be used in the shed building itself to provide light. I will admit i havent played around with it yet but rest assured playing will be done.

Once all this dirt work is done they can be set up as a pair again so i can get on and do some work on the backscene and then once thats done i can do scenic break. I can also begin to fill in the gaps between the tracks with typical wasteground type rubbish. The photos from Eastleigh and Warrington may come in handy then.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment