The Welcome Mat

Welcome to this Blog. Hopefully you may find it of use (i doubt it but it doesnt stop me hoping does it?). All my skills are normally self taught, and at the moment i'm a lone ranger when it comes to my layout with the occasional help from friends (normally it involves alot heckling).

I've never yet got a layout really past the electrics stage. I normally lose interest which is why i've decided to become involved in lots of things so i can vary my time between different things. All the work you see on Westleigh is my own work and all the photos you see on my fotopic sites are again my own work. I'm amazed i havent started to play with it, perhaps leaving the vast majoirty of the wiring to the end helps.

My main interest in railways is principally the early 90s. Even though i only just got into double figures in terms of age just as privitisation came in, i find it a very interesting period. My earliest memories were at Salisbury, Oxford and Bristol. So to counteract this aswell i tend to model the northwest scene during 1990 to 1994. However i also do the Wessex area during the same period and the scottish lowlands during 1988-1990.

I do have a little interest in the 1996-1998 privitisation period. I'm more aware of this period than the sectorisation period and again i wouldnt mind if it turned into this era.

I also am working on a project of Devizes station in 1963/64 just before alot of the line was rationalised and eventually closed. This however is a very very long term project and probably wont get anyway for many many years yet.

I do spend alot of time in the summer out an about doing photography particularly of civil jet aircraft. I'm certainly no David Bailey but i'm reasonably proud of most of the photos taken.

Anyway i suppose i really should get off the computer and get on with some modelling work, except work has a tendancy to get in the way!

Friday 29 January 2010

Action Planning (WR)

Now its time to come in from the cold some serious planning can begin as to what to do next. Do i work on the platforms or do i do the scenic break? Its all very important as sods law states that if i dont get it in the right order one or another could affect it all. The main scenic jobs to do are the scenic break which is planned to be as a road going up and over the line, a little twee i know but it works in my eyes. Along with this is the backscene. I plan to make up some low relief warehosuing using wood shapes cut out to form the ends and then plasticard and embossed sheet etc to clad the wood to make it look like a warehouse etc. I have some i got which need redoing so i shall use these as a base for the rest. Electrically apart from some shaking down and the wiring up of the signals (capacity has got to be put in as i didnt intially plan on having working ground signals. I've got to make up some 25way d plug tag strips so that i can wire these up, which will mean another job knocked off the list.

I've also got some chippy work to do such as the fiddle yard fascia boards and the general front fascia. I've also got to do the lighting gantry for which i already have all the kit. I just need to do it all!

Also i think its out grown the small 3dr car it was designed to go in. A new vehicle may be the order of the day perhaps?

Also what colour do i paint the fascia and fiddle yard cover? I did find a shade of Br Blue in homebase but i think its too dark. Intercity red maybe or NSE red white and blue? Or what about dutch colours or even railfreight with sector logos? I think i may plump for a maroon that the club uses for its layouts as its relativly plain and does look nice once varnished.

Also one other thing in the title you will notice two letters after the title itself. This are to denote which layout they are in relation to WR= Westlea Road and WH= Wellingham. If theres a GM= general modelling and if theres no intials its something else not related to modelling, probably either the rant of the day or aircraft related.

No comments:

Post a Comment