The Welcome Mat

Welcome to this Blog. Hopefully you may find it of use (i doubt it but it doesnt stop me hoping does it?). All my skills are normally self taught, and at the moment i'm a lone ranger when it comes to my layout with the occasional help from friends (normally it involves alot heckling).

I've never yet got a layout really past the electrics stage. I normally lose interest which is why i've decided to become involved in lots of things so i can vary my time between different things. All the work you see on Westleigh is my own work and all the photos you see on my fotopic sites are again my own work. I'm amazed i havent started to play with it, perhaps leaving the vast majoirty of the wiring to the end helps.

My main interest in railways is principally the early 90s. Even though i only just got into double figures in terms of age just as privitisation came in, i find it a very interesting period. My earliest memories were at Salisbury, Oxford and Bristol. So to counteract this aswell i tend to model the northwest scene during 1990 to 1994. However i also do the Wessex area during the same period and the scottish lowlands during 1988-1990.

I do have a little interest in the 1996-1998 privitisation period. I'm more aware of this period than the sectorisation period and again i wouldnt mind if it turned into this era.

I also am working on a project of Devizes station in 1963/64 just before alot of the line was rationalised and eventually closed. This however is a very very long term project and probably wont get anyway for many many years yet.

I do spend alot of time in the summer out an about doing photography particularly of civil jet aircraft. I'm certainly no David Bailey but i'm reasonably proud of most of the photos taken.

Anyway i suppose i really should get off the computer and get on with some modelling work, except work has a tendancy to get in the way!

Thursday 15 April 2010

For the 3rd Time (WR)

Was reminded through something else today that i haven't updated my blog in a while. Well the reason for this is two fold, works been very busy and secondly i had a club show to deal with in the mean time. Trainwest passed without incident and despite being exceptional knackered by the end it enjoyed it. I also managed to get hold of a 507ish. I actually got an MTK 313 kit virtually identical apart from the panto well and a slightly different window arrangement under the panto well. Anyway more on that in later post.

What about the layout then, well its being completely rewired. I wasn't happy with the quality of my wiring. I'm also having terrible difficulty with my point motors not firing. I suspect alot work will be required here. Also it was mentioned in the previous post that it was DC control. That's still the case but the All components unit i had need a another dc output for lights. So while in Cardiff today on a course i popped into Lord and Butler (a fantastic shop, no connection, just a customer) and they had a Gaugemaster 100m which has all i need in being twin control and having both DC and AC outputs for £25. Oddly enough that's what i got for the all components one at the weekend by selling it to a trader. I haven't made anything but i didn't lose anything.
I'm still having difficulty in finding a Eckon ground signal, they seem to be like hens teeth.

In terms of the scenic side i now have enough rail chairs and the Z gauge rail joiners i need for the layout. I may stop the wiring to do this as i will need to fit the flasher unit for which i also have a new bulb except this one is 12v, just hope the flasher will cope with 12v now.

I've not taken any new photos as there really isn't anything to show but i will do once the 3rd rail is in.

No comments:

Post a Comment